#RPGaDay2015 Day 23 - Perfect Game for You

Geez all this obsession with perfection... Perfect game for me.

I'm going to answer this one partially and revisit this one when it comes time to mash-up two games.

My perfect game would be a modified version of Pendragon. It has a number of things that I really like about it. First of all, it has a rules set I really enjoy - though it is d20 instead of d100 based, it is still a BRP system. Very easy to understand and visualize. I also really like the generational play of the game, with each adventure presumed to take place over a year and your character not expected to make it to the end of the game, whether dying of natural causes or of violence. Related to that, Pendragon treats wounds very seriously, harkening back to the state of medieval medicine, in a way that few games do - it is possible to be victorious in battle and then die of your wounds.

There's a few things which prevent this from being a "Perfect" game for me. First of all, I have to confess while I enjoy the stories of King Arthur, I don't have a passion for them and I suspect I'd have a hard time getting buy-in from either my current gaming group or any of my previous ones. What I'd like to see is a variation of Pendragon that is designed for adaptation to other settings and genres - I know some people have done a Pendragon/Runequest mash-up (do a search for "PenDragon Pass"). I think Pendragon would work well for other legendary yet gritty genres - a Viking saga comes to mind, as does a science fiction game along the lines of Frank Herbert's Dune.

The other thing I'd love to see would be a bit more automation being available - the domain rules for Pendragon are great to have but I'd love it for their to be some sort of app that automates much of the domain play, allowing characters to make their decisions and have the results of those decisions automated and the status of the manor, family, etc. all being updated automatically.

So what I'm looking for is a game with a system like Pendragon at its core, with plug-ins for different genre, and some funky software to support it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jules Verne Translations That Don't Stink

Stepping Away and a New Beginning

RPG Review: Fate Accelerated

Using the Force in D6 Star Wars

Developing Boston for 1920s Call of Cthulhu