What's Shiny? September 2017 Edition



Continuing the occasional series of shiny stuff that is capable of distracting me...

The fortunate thing is there's a new edition of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea that just came out. It's good when the shiny is actually what you are currently playing - and that it's backwards compatible.

We're going to be down to just three of us for a few games in late-September early-October so we might be doing a standalone adventure/two-parter. I've been giving some serious consideration to Cthulhu Dark as I'm curious how we'll find the extremely lean rules system.

I've been doing a lot of espionage viewing and reading over the past month or so. It's resulted in me flipping through Top Secret a lot - though I am finding the hand to hand combat rules a bit tough on the brain. I've also been thinking about Cthulhu and company in such a setting. There's a bunch of games and/or supplements designed just for that... I've been rereading Charles Stross's Laundry Files series, about a secret British spy agency dedicated to protecting the Earth from eldritch abominations - all while making certain they stay ISO 9001 certified. The novels have a dark humor to them, one Cubicle 7's RPG preserves. Getting a little (a lot) grittier, we have the Delta Green RPG. And finally I can think of the World War Cthulhu: Cold War RPG supplements from Cubicle 7.

Getting away from tentacles for a while, with a new Star Wars movie perpetually on the horizon, there is the eternal distraction of doing a Star Wars game... It's been a while since I thought about a Star Trek game, but with a new RPG just out and a new show about to begin...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jules Verne Translations That Don't Stink

Stepping Away and a New Beginning

RPG Review: Fate Accelerated

Using the Force in D6 Star Wars

Developing Boston for 1920s Call of Cthulhu