Thoughts on the Sandy Hook School Killings


Taking a break from geeky topics to reflect on the Sandy Hook School killings. Feel free to move on to more pleasant topics in my blog such as Cthulhu, Stephen King, Dungeons & Dragons, and the like.

Reflecting on the massacre in Connecticut... I'm a proud Massachusetts boy now and always consider myself to be "from" Brooklyn. But the fact is I spent most of my childhood in Connecticut, maybe half an hour or so from Sandy Hook. I'm married to a school teacher. My brother's wife is a teacher. My mother is one. And I find myself writing the words "massacre in Connecticut".

I know there's talk as to how we shouldn't politicize the issue. But all I can think of are nearly thirty dead people, the majority of them children. Children! I read of a teacher who saved her entire class with her own life. My own wife Patty tells me that she thinks as a teacher that'd be instinctive.

I don't want to read about another massacre of kids. I don't want to ever hear how my kids' schools or my wife's school is in lockdown due to a shooter.

Something needs to change. What we are doing today is not adequate to stop well over ten thousand gun-related homicides per year in our country. I don't see how we do that without legislation. Without politics.

I don't think it is too soon. I think it is far too late.

Comments

  1. I'm with you on this 100%. This conversation has been well past due, and even as the press pundits start talking about legislation to restrict automatic weapons I question why we aren't already talking about a total restriction on all firearms. We also need to look more closely at the way we treat mental health issues in this country. All we can hope now is to mitigate the next incident, and it is terrible that this had to happen at all to wake people up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jules Verne Translations That Don't Stink

Stepping Away and a New Beginning

RPG Review: Fate Accelerated

Using the Force in D6 Star Wars

Developing Boston for 1920s Call of Cthulhu