Reflections on Ringling Brothers


I read this weekend that Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus will be ceasing operations this May.

When I was a kid in the mid to late 1970s and the early 1980s, I used to spend a lot of time visiting my grandparents and uncle in Brooklyn, New York. Though I originally hail from there, most of my childhood was spent living in Connecticut (and a few other places). However, I did spend part of kindergarten living with my grandparents and spent many school vacations there.

While my grandfather took me to a ton of places in New York City, for whatever reason it was my uncle who would take me to see Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus every April vacation at Madison Square Garden. I also remember seeing it at the Hartford Civic Center as part of a high school band trip back in 1989 (also notable at that trip I picked up a trade paperback copy of The Dark Knight Returns on that school trip).

I used to have a blast at the circus. For whatever reason I remember these cheap flip-top flashlights that'd be attached to nylon strings and twirled around by the audience when the lights dimmed. Though the animals were a highlight for most (my uncle loved watching animal trainer Gunther Gebel-Williams) though I have to confess I really liked the acrobatics - I especially remember a contraption called "the wheel of death". 

I'm not too shocked they are ceasing operations - the last time I myself went was 1989. I'd thought of taking my kids, but it was never something that particularly interested them - tastes change with generations. I'm not qualified enough to judge the allegations of animal cruelty or how much of a difference their decision to retire their elephants further diminished ticket sales. I am thinking about sneaking a trip to one of the final shows if I can manage it. Best wishes to all impacted by this.



Popular posts from this blog

Jules Verne Translations That Don't Stink

Go Support Golden Age Champions

Fate Accelerated Star Wars Character Stats

Fake News of the Future