#RPGaDay2015 Day 17 - Favorite Fantasy RPG

Eek there's like too many of these...

I'm going to go over some of the games I've played before zero-ing in on a favorite.

Once upon a time I had a blast with a D&D 3.5 game in the Eberron campaign setting. I'm going to say that D&D 3.5 was a blast to play. However, in terms of running the game, especially with regard to prep work, I found it a bit cumbersome. I played some D&D 4e and generally enjoyed it but it felt a bit different from other D&D games and we did run into the dreaded "grind" where the outcome a combat is clear several rounds before it ends.

I've also done some RuneQuest - the second incarnation of the Mongoose version. It's pretty similar to the current incarnation. I enjoyed the give and take of RuneQuest combat and the straightforward skills system. I've only done one full campaign with that, a rather enjoyable fantasy Vikings meeting Lenape in Manhattan.

In more recent games I used Dungeon Crawl Classics and Adventurer Conqueror King System. DCC is a ton of old-school fun using a system quite similar to D&D 3.5 in rules but like older D&D in style and complexity. ACKS has that Basic/Expert D&D system as its starting point with some tweaks for domain-level play.

That brings me back to my earlier gaming life with truer old school games back when they were new school. I started with the old Basic/Expert and "graduated" Advanced D&D.

Thinking about this variety of games, I've rather enjoyed all of them to at least some extent and would gladly play them again. I think at the end of the day I'm a big fan of Chaosium's BRP system which is at the core of RuneQuest. Despite not a ton of time clocked in with RuneQuest, I'm going to give that the win - I'm actually getting a desire to take it for another spin or two.

Popular posts from this blog

Jules Verne Translations That Don't Stink

Go Support Golden Age Champions

Fate Accelerated Star Wars Character Stats

Fake News of the Future