Keeping it Simple: D6 and BRP

 I don't blog a whole lot about systems but when going over some older games and adventures I've picked up lately I came to the realization I seem to have a lot more luck in games that have a certain level of simplicity to their rules - especially the D6 System and BRP-based games. I always get a kick out of the fact that the Chaosium team that wrote West End Games' Ghostbusters RPG is made up of people who had major roles in developing RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu, and Pendragon, all three of which are BRP-based games.


While the two systems are fairly different from each other, they both have in common a very straightforward and unobtrusive system. I've explained games like Ghostbusters, Star Wars, and Call of Cthulhu in minutes to new players.


I'm the last person in the world to preach the virtues of "one true system" - or even "two true systems" for that matter - I've got some Gumshoe and Fate in my future I'm pretty certain, as well as another Dungeon Crawl Classics Game. But in my middle age I'm starting to get a better feel as to what games are a better fit for my own style. I've also come to have a respect for how well those systems work - at least for me. Maybe next superhero game should whip out the old Superworld rules. That's what gave Wild Cards its start after all...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jules Verne Translations That Don't Stink

Stepping Away and a New Beginning

RPG Review: Fate Accelerated

Using the Force in D6 Star Wars

Developing Boston for 1920s Call of Cthulhu