#RPGaDay 2016 Day 20: Much Challenging But Rewarding System I've Learned



He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him. I'll chase him round the Moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perdition's flames before I give him up! 

One thing I've learned about my own gaming style is for me, simpler seems to be better. I talked about that yesterday in a non-#RPGaDay post. While that's been a trend, that's not to say it'll always be the case. Some day I'll master Champions.

That said my current white whale is the Fate system of RPGs. Truthfully the rules aren't that complicated - Fate Accelerated is a glorified pamphlet. But the application of those rules represent a bit of a shift in thinking that I'm still working on. It reminds me a little bit of when I had to learn the Lisp programming language back in college. It was so different from the other languages I knew that in many ways I had to start anew - it was almost as if my previous knowledge was a hindrance. I feel that way about Fate - I've a hunch it'd be easier to master had I less gaming experience.

Even though I'm not there yet with Fate I'm likely to give it a few more tries. When I have run it or played it and it clicked, I could definitely see how useful it is for a certain style a play. It's currently used for two licensed properties that I greatly enjoy - Dresden Files and Atomic Robo. I don't care as much for the Dresden Files adaptation - it's a beautifully done game but I find it too crunchy for my tastes. Atomic Robo is gloriously adapted though. I had a moderately successfully Atomic Robo game and I'd love to take it for another spin.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jules Verne Translations That Don't Stink

Stepping Away and a New Beginning

RPG Review: Fate Accelerated

Using the Force in D6 Star Wars

Developing Boston for 1920s Call of Cthulhu